Wednesday, July 25, 2007

We're blogging



My first created blog. Everytime I say I'm going to let this (fill in new technology) fad pass me by, I find a reason to at least try it.
I started this blog for my family to plan our extended family reunion on Labor Day this year. Our first ever reunion, an idea I've kicked around since my dad's mother passed away and I missed the frequent extended family gatherings. In October, my brothers and I had a small brunch in honor of my parents 45th wedding anniversary with some members of their wedding party and a few relatives. It was just so nice to be with all of these people who have known me for my entire life. I still didn't want to take that step to plan the big party until a sage cousin-in-law said someone needs to make sure the next generation knows their family.
So, I made a move and booked a date and place for the party and invited a committee of my cousins and in-laws to plan a reunion. I've started with all MY relatives and hope the guest list will grow. I have very fond childhood memories of spending time with my relative's relatives and friends and would love to see everyone again.
We had our kick-off planning meeting last night at the RIDC Max & Erma's. I naively thought it would take 15 minutes but the ideas were flying. Here are pictures of my family - I'll add a one of my Mom & Dad as soon as I find one. I thought we could try it for a while and see if it's at all interesting to the larger family. There's probably a good way to use this to start tracking the family trees....

7 comments:

Bloo@last said...

SILK-SCREENED Babushkas for all!!! I'll get the minutes out to everyone asap.
Nice job with the Blog, Loretta:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you up and blogging! Sorry I flaked out on the planning. Life has been up and down and I found myself crying every half an hour. I saw my godson... because it was his special day... but I didn't want to chance going to M&E and being a mess. I love you all and I will help with Labor Day were ever I can.

peace and kisses

urbanmom said...

I have such a good feeling about this reunion.

Bloo@last said...

Here are the details I recorded, as promised, in my sophisticated pocket organizer last Tues:

FAMILY REUNION:

MONDAY, SEPT 3
12-6
WESTINGHOUSE LODGE, FOREST HILLS

Families included (incomplete list)
1. Stanish
2. Husar
3. Kush
4. Prucnal
5. Kopak
6. Russell
7. (make sure to invite Tilly!)
8. (...)

INVITATIONS to be delegated to Monica Sebak, who will be aided by Debbie Sebak. Loretta will hold "master list" of guests to be invited, and responses.

Invitations will be sent by Aug 1, and will include:

1. Map to lodge (if relevant, include note regarding Parkway closing after checking PennDot site)
2. Request to provide a rare family photo or movie, to be used in CD compilation of family photos and movies which will be shown at reunion ("copies available for $19.95";))
3. Request to provide one ethnic/traditional food item (Debbie Sebak to organize list?)
4. RSVP by ??? to (Loretta?)- RSVP's can be done vie email or snail-mail!

POLKA-TIME! 12-3 (and by request!)

Currently looking into having a professional DJ, who is a friend of Stan, for a few hours ( tentative). I can take over for the remainder of the party, after the DJ finishes. I need to know if there are outlets by the polka-floor, or if I should bring extension cords.


FAMILY TREE

We can do a "Draw In your place on the tree" at the Reunion. Family members who already have pieces of the tree compiled will submit them to Monica(?) who will use her software to get the earliest parts of tree started. Ron Covato and Beth Kush already have some parts of the tree compiled from previous events. (?)

FAMILY VIDEO

Two ideas about video were discussed:
1. compile old family movies into a DVD format to show during reunion.
2. use videos taken day of reunion to make a DVD "favor" for all guests... will be sent at Christmas time?

Marius is pretty savvy with iMovie, and making DVD's. He can help with the final products in this respect.

KIDS ACTIVITIES

Clarica is tackling this one! This should cover activities for ages 2-50 (not sure who the "kids" are... do we still sit at the "kids' table?:P) We have access to Guitar Hero and DDR, which all would enjoy, but we have to make sure not to compete with the Polkas! Maybe they can be played after the DJ is done?
*Should prizes be awarded???
*Maybe the "Big Kids" would enjoy a game of traditional BINGO!!!

WEBCAM

The idea was presented to possibly contact overseas relatives, via web-cam, during the reunion. This is dependent upon the Lodge having internet access, and the time of day we would be communicating with people in other countries. Chris Zurawsky is on our list of relatives we wish to include via cyberspace.

NAME TAGS

We need them... Lord knows we've all changed over the years! I think Debbie Sebak volunteered to bring some? All guests make their own.

FAVORS

Currently, we are open for ideas... the option we are considering silk-screened babushkas. Lexi can work on graphics!


FOOD and BEVERAGES!!!!
(Last but NEVER least!)

The day will include traditional Polish/Slovak fare, to be home made. We will ask people to volunteer to provide their specialty dish, and will keep track of who is bringing what via blog and RSVP responses. I, personally, am looking forward to Peirogies, stuffed cabbage, Hulushki, and Keilbasi. There will be a kick-ass cookie table as well!

Patty and Stan are handling the beverages. So far we are guaranteed a couple kegs and Vodka! We will need cups, ice, and mixers? Maybe all families bringing kids can pitch in for the non-alcoholic drinks?


...That's all I have for now, Family!:) We are going to have a blast

Unknown said...

to Lucia - I think you mean Kopec, not kopek. I know we're the "unknown side" so, it's a common mistake. I can't believe I figured out how to get to this Blog. I'm new to this. I just hope I can get back here!

Chris said...

Now all you have to do is keep the darn thing up-to-date! BTW, my students are all required to start blogs and post their homework assignments there, and they have to do it for other classes too; a friend in Pittsburgh who's headed to Edinburgh for a sabbatical started one; and a friend in Brooklyn and another in Queens recently started blogs. So by hook or by crook, seems like everyone's doin' it. But again, keeping up with it is the big challenge.

urbanmom said...

OMG - I just love the interaction! To Lu - it's not the vodka... it's that PLUM BRANDY!